Monday, December 14, 2009

Eating right this season

I feel like this column might be a little bit cruel because of the timing but rest assured, I am talking to myself as much as I am anyone who reads this.

I feel disgusting. I am still full from Thanksgiving. It’s actually kind of funny because when my spin instructor said to “enjoy eating good food” (as I shared in last week’s column), I don’t think he meant “enough food for four people by yourself.” Funny? Yes. True? Absolutely. I seriously think I ate enough food for a small family, and I am not proud of it.

But I have learned something that I think it is worth sharing. Since returning from my Thanksgiving gustatory orgy, I have been on a bit of cleansing campaign and it is pretty amazing how different I am starting to feel. The old adage “You are what you eat!” is ringing truer than ever for me right now.

First, I went to the vitamin store and bought “The Complete Body Cleanse.” Three bottles of herbal pills intended to cleanse one’s liver and digestive system. So, I am now popping herbal pills every morning and night for the next two weeks.

Second, I started exercising. Of course, I am back in my spin class, but I am also running and even throwing in a moderate weight workout.

Third, I went to the grocery store (a small miracle in and of itself) and bought healthy food to have in my refrigerator. I bought chicken, turkey, a ton of vegetables, raw almonds and cashews, soy milk, eggs, low-fat string cheese, and a couple other “clean” foods.

Lastly, I decided to only eat for one person, instead of four.

Now, I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, and I am certainly not making any claims; but I can tell you that in just one week, I feel like a new person. I have more energy; I feel better about myself; my clothes fit again; I feel more alert and clear-headed; and I know that I must be internally healthier than I was a week ago.

I guess in some ways, Thanksgiving allowed me to hit my wall. And, for some reason, I don’t think I am alone on this. I actually think that most of us start to feel this way around the holidays. The scary part is that most of the holiday parties haven’t even started yet.

So, I have decided that I will enjoy my holidays. I will go to the parties and family gatherings and enjoy the great food without a single ounce of guilt. But on the days in between, I am going to continue taking my herbal pills, exercising, eating healthy foods, and watching my portions. Is this medically sound? Not sure. But I fairly confident that if I stick to this program, I won’t end up 10 pounds heavier than I was at the end of last year (which is often times the case). Maybe you can try it with me.

Your health matters.

FACTS

Annual costs for chronic diseases in the U.S. is big money:

n $117 billion for obesity

n $73.4 billion for high blood pressure

n $448 billion for heart disease and strokes

n $50 billion for weight-loss aids, diet foods, supplements, and weight-loss medications — and obesity is still increasing

79 percent likelihood exists that an overweight child will become an overweight adult.

TAKE ACTION TODAY

n If you suffer from or have a family history of any of the aforementioned chronic conditions or diseases, consult your family physician for dietary counseling.

n Although every individual is unique in his or her dietary needs, here are some ideas to help all of us:

n Eat more dark green vegetables, legumes, fruits, whole grains, low-fat milk products, and lean meats.

n Eat fewer foods with refined grains and sugars; reduce your intake of fatty foods with empty calories; and eat smaller portions.

n Eat slowly so that you will feel full before you’ve overeaten.

n Don’t reward yourself or children with food.

n Limit snacking.

n Develop a routine and eat at similar times each day.

n Drink plenty of water.

n Eat to live; don’t live to eat.

n You deserve to be in good health. For most, diabetes, hypertension, and other obesity-related chronic diseases are preventable by simply eating healthily and exercising. You will feel better than ever both mentally and physically — the only way to really live.


No comments:

Post a Comment